Andrew and Ada

Andrew and Ada

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Random thoughts of Glenna

Awhile back I had a goal of digitizing all of the family records I have in my possession to put on dvd and share with all family that would like a copy for their personal and family history use.  While I still have a lot to do I thought I would create this blog in an effort to share what I have and invite other family members to share what they have, photos, histories, memories and so on.  In the blog format we can eventually send things off to be printed in a bound book format. So, by "pooling" all of our information to one blog I thought it might be easier and more beneficial logisticly, time and money wise.  Keep in mind this blog will only be successful with each of you contributing and sharing what you have. That said, I ask you to email me any information you can, including memories and stories with aunts, uncles,cousins etc.  I am doing this in an effort to keep grandpa and grandma's legacy alive and to help us share our great heritage with one another and with those who didn't know Andrew and Ada.

I have so many fond memories of grandpa and grandma.  The leather purse grandpa made. Grandma teaching me to crochet. Grandma's ability to laugh at herself. Memories of when they would come to visit and they would only have been there for a very short period of time and grandpa would put his hat on, walk out to the car and honk the horn for grandma to come out so they could leave....only to hear grandma say "Oh, Andrew, I am not through visiting. You can just wait a few minutes."  So, the "Oh, Andrew!" sentiment began between some of the cousins, knowing where it came from and the great love we have of our grandparents. 

I was in 5th grade when grandpa passed away.  I remember that day as clear as anything. I think that was the first real family death I had experienced in my short life. At least that I can remember. I cherish the times grandma would come and stay with us for a while.  I gladly gave my bed up for her. I so loved hearing her stories, going for walks and rides with her, the funny, silly times we had laughing at her teaching me how to crochet and me being left handed! It took awhile, but we finally figured out the best way to do it and it worked!  I so appreciate the times we had grandma in our home over the years and mother's quiet example of the love, care and respect for our loved ones.  These examples will forever be etched in my life and have been a great influence to this day.

Grandpa and grandma lived in hard times. They worked hard. Had a good work ethic. I think the thing I remember most, maybe because it took me most of my life to learn it, was her ability to laugh at herself and in difficult situations.

Please share your experiences with us. We all had our own unique relationship with grandpa and grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins.  Let's help keep the wonderful legacy alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment